Monday, December 29, 2008

369. Industrial Ecology of Graduate School Part 2--Lifestyles of the Intellectually Wealthy, Physically Impoverished, and Culturally Underepresented!



Variation 1:

"Graduate School: Lifestyles of the Intellectually Wealthy, Physically Impoverished, and Culturally Under-represented." (There is no Hollywood Grad Student Flick. Why? Why not! It's about time!) And so this on-going photoessay goes to show the desperate measures a particular graduate student takes in order to survive--physically, mentally, academically--and simultaneously attempts to capture the holistic essence of the rebellious graduate student culture--one of the most psychologically "at risk" groups in America! Well, duh. Our profession is to ask the question "What's the point?" every single day. Of course, we are AT RISK! And secondly, it's great to be "at risk" because it just serves as another excuse to a typical unproductive day of research. Images vary from vices--food, caffeine (etc), sleep, exercise, trash, beer, to office/field tendencies of graduate students, like writing on your hands, playing Outcrop Jenga by stacking paper on top of your desk, buying surfboards with student loans, etc.

Variation 2:

"Graduate School: Lifestyles of the Intellectually Wealthy, Physically Impoverished, and Culturally Under-represented." (There is no Hollywood Grad Student Flick. Why? Why not! It's about time!) And so this on-going photoessay goes to show the desperate measures a particular graduate student takes in order to survive--physically, mentally, academically--and simultaneously attempts to capture the holistic essence of the rebellious graduate student culture--one of the most psychologically "at risk" groups in America! Well, duh. Our profession is to ask the question "What's the point?" every single day. Of course we have a little empty black box in our mind's hearts! Of course! We are AT RISK! And secondly, it's great to be "at risk" because it just serves as another excuse to a typical unproductive day of research. Images vary from vices--food, caffeine (etc), sleep, exercise, trash, beer, to office/field tendencies of graduate students, like writing on your hands, stacking paper on top of your desk that is of relative scale to Mount Whitney. Grad Party Collection Coming Soon!

Variation 3:

"Graduate School: Lifestyles of the Intellectually Wealthy and Physically Impoverished." And so this on-going photoessay goes to show the desperate measures a particular graduate student takes in order to survive--physically, mentally, academically--and simultaneously attempts to capture the holistic essence of the rebellious graduate student culture--one of the most psychologically "at risk" groups in America! Well, duh, that's expected. Our profession is to ask the question "What's the point?" every single day. Of course we have a little empty well black box of emotionally driven intellect in our heads! Of course! We are AT RISK! And secondly, it's great to be "at risk" because it just serves as another excuse to an unproductive day of research (like I made a cartoon, caught a softball and got an out for the city team, drove my friend home in the rain, but didn't get any research done.' Hmmm. Images vary from vices--food, sleep, exercise, trash, beer, to the tendencies of graduate students, like writing on your hands, stacking paper on top of your desk that is of relative scale to Mount Whitney, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera." I'm sure I'll have a "grad party" collection soon enough!

Variation 4:

"Graduate School: Lifestyles of the Intellectually Wealthy and Physically Impoverished." And so this on-going photoessay goes to show the desperate measures that a particular graduate student takes in order to survive--physically, mentally, academically--and simultaneously attempts to capture the holistic essence of the rebellious graduate student culture--one of the most psychologically "at risk" groups in America! Well, duh, our profession is to ask the question "What's the point?" every single day. Of course! We are AT RISK! And secondly, it's great to be "at risk" because it just serves as another excuse to an unproductive day of research (like I made a cartoon, caught a softball and got an out for the city team, drove my friend home in the rain, but didn't get any research done.' Hmmm. Images vary from vices--food, sleep, exercise, trash, beer, to the tendencies of graduate students, like writing on your hands, stacking paper on top of your desk that is of relative scale to Mount Whitney, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera."

Cleaning My Mind's Room, Version 3.0 (Okay! Calm Down!)

I, Victoria, just blew a bunch of neurological fuses. I am emotionally overwhelmed--ready to cry--just like how I was during my first year at UC Davis. My hippocampus has been overloaded--especially after exposing myself to several ideas and people and conferences that had all been buried in my head... and now? They are all in my mind, lively and animated... after a long quarter of being in great dormancy.

I had a series of "thoughtful ideas" pounce out of my head--all in random order in space and time--of course, because I exposed myself in random order. That is what a "mess" is.

I was thinking about my photography. I tended to "kick the camera" towards the direction of non-linear systems, spirals, branching networks, blurry subjects. Nothing predictable. I avoid all systems that have a high degree of predictable properties to them. The only way I can live today is through seeing the world in a state of Uncertainty--a degree of order and a degree of chaos. Predictability will lead to my doom.

I was at home and came to realize that my father indiscriminantly threw away nearly all my "boxes" for stash and storage. I told my mother that if he hadn't done that, I would be getting $50 back for my softball glove. I just recently made the purchase. My mom was like, "Ouch." My dad and I communicate precisely when it comes to research. When it comes to meeting times, when it comes to making plans (I'll be back January something), when it comes to throwing away boxes in the garage, life becomes highly... imprecise... but my dad and I don't care. I told him, "Don't you realize, I had to meditate for a LONG, LONG, LONG time in order to get into your world and your mentality? I had to sit down with myself and ask "What is really a problem?" And do I want to be defined by petty problems, like image, like little annoying things my relatives do? Or do I want to be defined by universal problems--disregard the pettiness of my own life? That required a good, long, hard look at my mind. My father understood what I was saying because there are other family members who define themselves by little petty problems--blown up to issues of Magnanimous Proportions!

My mother always gave me a hard time about my room, but I like how it looks. It is VERY organized. But supposedly unaesthetic. My sister's friend Justin and my mother both agreed that my room looked like a "warehouse," but a VERY organized one! My room used to be a room. Then an office. And now a Production Company. Something like Question Reality Media. The University itself is NOW a Production Company. Possibly the LARGEST production company I know of. Even cooler than anything in Hollywood. Who knows what is behind any of these doors--this matrix of the collective brain?

No comments: