Thursday, July 09, 2009

444. Poem / Song Related to the Ocean Called "Roll Over Me"


Over the Fourth of July weekend, I was with Jules and Ernie down at Mission Bay, San Diego. I met Ernie's deck-hands in an "unusually usual" circumstance down at the Galley of Ernie's sportfishing boat. I thought we were going to say a quick hello, but it ended up being a monstrously intense 1.5 hour "galley talk" between Jules and Ernie, exchanging huge volumes of information amidst a sunset with the fog rolling in, and the egrets, blue and night-crown herons became the new masters of the harbor. Finally, galley talk faded and peetered out, as it was becoming dark, and as I drove home that evening, this song popped into my head. It was very melody driven--slow rolls. Most of my songs are pretty fast-paced, but this one is semi-slow and rolling, there are "long gaps" between words and melody, which allows myself or someone else to play with the voice box as an effective instrument for emphasizing the complex happy mournfulness of the song. The PDF file is available here: http://stokastika2.googlepages.com/rollovermepoem1.pdf

1 comment:

Victoria "Stokastika" said...

Consider publication in Ocean Magazine. Collect a few more poems for Ocean Magazine.