Thursday, March 26, 2009

399. "CHESS: Poetry of Human-Environmental Change," Vic's First Book of Poetry Currently in Peer-Review

A tangible product of winter quarter, finally manifested! "CHESS: Poetry of Human-Environmental Change." After being filtered by the mind of Barry Spacks, I feel confident enough to present to the world a suite of poems which essentially serves as an "outline" to a longer piece I must inevitably write.


Above is a widget that serves as a "Mini Storefront" to my Lulu identity on http://lulu.com/questionreality. Below is a little "buy it now" doohickie from Lulu. I guess the essence of this entire blog and this form of self-publishing is the do-it-yourself mentality. You don't need to be endorsed by a mass-production corporation such as Penguin in order to create and distribute great writing... not to say that my writing is great at all... a bit of an overstatement, I should say.

Support independent publishing: buy this book on Lulu.

Below is a profile that I placed on Lulu to summarize the book. It's just a sketch. I am assuming that this will be the "first version" of CHESS. The second version will (1) be peer-reviewed... errr... legitimatized by several individuals who already received stamps of approval on their forehead, and (2) also include a few more poems... perhaps... that I wasn't able to include in this round because I am buried in my own mismanaged file systems and pressed for time.

“Stokastika!” Victoria Minnich, a Ph.D. student in environmental science and management/ environmental media at the University of California, Santa Barbara, is a chronic seeker of order from chaos. A bold and daring exploration of scale and metaphor through the unconstrained means of poetry, Victoria asks timely questions, and in the process, surges an influx of grand themes of environmental philosophy and artful scientific dialect into the realm of literature and the humanities. CHESS is a debut collection of poetry.

It is difficult to write my own abstract, because I have to be in a mode of "self-glorification... within relative moderation." I don't want to toot my own horn, but the marketing system requires me to do so.



"CHESS: Poetry of Human-Environmental Change" Hugging / Formatting / Sandwiching a Manuscript to Make a Book. Writing and hugging a manuscript requires a lot of patience and precision, which required a "time out from life," or experiencing the world. I actually hid for a few days in Buellton, California (Pea Soup Heaven!) in order to work on the detailed nuance of editing the poems and formatting the book... which includes a book cover (front, back, spine), title page cover, copyright page, devotions, table of contents, introduction, parceling up poetry into chapters (I have seven chapters, I think!), and some form of conclusion page, adding page numbers, formatting with pdf (that was a battle!), and a few other residual items on the list I don't have on the top of my head...

Above is a collection of images involved in the formation of the logo / symbolic illustration for CHESS, entitled "Oak Tree Mind / Emerging Transcendence." Still not sure which title should be used, but I write down both to capture the attention of the search engines. I showed the illustration to my friend, Shannon, and she really liked it.... It can potentially be used within the literary magazine!

Below is a list of links of major documents available for FREE to paruse through:

CHESS Sample that Lulu requires for authors to make as a "preview" for the book: http://stokastika2.googlepages.com/1CHESSsample2smaller.pdf

CHESS Interior Title Page: http://stokastika2.googlepages.com/2CHESStitlepage1.pdf

CHESS Copyright Page (without a Library of Congress Number, and Presently without an ISBN Number, will need more feedback before I will invest $100 on a barcode): http://stokastika2.googlepages.com/3CHESScopyrightpage1.pdf

CHESS Table of Contents: http://stokastika2.googlepages.com/4CHESStableofcontents.pdf

CHESS Final Page in the Back: http://stokastika2.googlepages.com/5CHESSfinalpage1.pdf

"CHESS: Poetry of Human-Environmental Change" the COMPLETE BOOK: http://stokastika2.googlepages.com/6CHESSebook2smaller.pdf

CHESS Storefront from Lulu: http://stokastika2.googlepages.com/7CHESSpoetrystorefront1smaller.pdf

Question Reality / Stokastika Storefront with CHESS on the Top, from Lulu: http://stokastika2.googlepages.com/8QuestionRealityLuluStorefront1small.pdf

This is not an all-inclusive blog. What I would like to summarize in a future blog is (1) What is CHESS all about? Where do all the ideas come from? What is the context? (2) Where am I heading next in the world of poetry? and (3) Some fundamental Life Principles that I learned from Barry Spacks' course... and any other miscellaneous ideas....

1 comment:

Victoria "Stokastika" said...

Additional Specs About CHESS I forgot to include. 1. category: science and medicine (all they have in Lulu), would have preferred to put in environment 2. 11.49 for print / 5.99 for download 3. 6" by 9" 4. black and white interior with some red streaks on the cover 5. 94 pages, the spine length? 0.212 inches, as of what I remember 6. 4.56 megabites file size (not that bad!) 7. One-piece cover requirements: Your file must be a PDF Spine width: 15.24 Postscript points wide (0.212") Spine begins 441 Postscript points (6.13") from the left. Total cover width: 897.24 X 666 Postscript points (12.46" X 9.25") 8. The CHESS book found at http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/chess-poetry-of-human-environmental-change/6559922