Wednesday, July 30, 2008

246. Poem "The Blank Slate" Poetic Advertisement for Question Reality / Shock Doctrine Response

Blank Slate Question Reality ad poem. Page 1.
Blank Slate Question Reality ad poem. Page 2.

Please see the pdf file below.
Tariel was telling me all this stuff about The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein that I can't shake out of my head simply because all the ideas were fitting like a glove within my pre-existing molded Question Reality mindframe.
Shock Doctrine ideas keep haunting me so I'll just do some constructive writing here.
It's just that there were certain "buz words" that Naomi Klein used quite a bit: shock therapy, shock doctrine, blank slate, blank mind. Disastrology-based terminology (disastrology comes from Michel Gondry, my film director hero).

After exposure to "someone else's point of view," I start adapting my own language such that we have matching mindframes. I have been doing this all along in my department- and university- and industry-hopping I have been doing for the last 9 years or so.
I have learned to communicate my brain (Question Reality) to people through this language-adapting method. When I wrote QR, I was in relative isolation. I created artwork and a communication system with my own mind. Even my own lingo and overall language system.

Then I go out in the world, and I start to talk to people in attempt to communicate as well as trying to understand how people think. And through this understanding I come to adapt my language such that they can better understand me.
In the poem above (Shock Doctrine, Part 2, Fight Club, Part 2), I made sure I used the words shock, disaster, blank slate, blank mind....
Even the term, "Milton Freedman."
That bastard. Economics is not some number-crunching math model game, especially when it deals with people's lives. Economic system design should be a cognitive map, a visual video game. A football player diagram on how to organize humans and resource-landscapes. I don't know why all these people continue to produce stupid, useless video games and people continue to play them when you need to create these PRACTICAL video games on designing societies, eh?
Another thing that disturbs me is the notion of scientific experiments on humanity. My journey out of anorexia I consider to be a scientific experiment. Glory amen. I am a live. Dr. Jared Diamond treats history as a natural experiment RETROACTIVELY. And Milton Freedman's Chicago boys? They were "advising leaders" in other countries CONSCIOUSLY KNOWING they were engaging in nation-scaled "social experiments"?!! Give me a nightmare, will you?!! Oh, experiments on entire societies would be against the law within the United States, but since they are trans-national experiments with no rules in between countries, they could get away with WHATEVER.
Man, I am pissed.
Fxcking definitions of science.
And all these environmental scientists playing the game of "denial science," saying I don't wanna get political with my science when POLITICS IS SCIENCE. POLITICS IS A GIANT EXPERIMENT. AND YOU'RE IN IT, BUDDY. YOU'RE THE GUINEA PIG IN THE RATBOX. Welcome to the sustainability experiment, bimbo!
Wow, my blog is getting foul here. I need to jog. But to remind you I am a field scientist and I am in "laboratory mode" every single time I step out of the room of my mind and venture into the world outside. Shxt happens a lot to field scientists, so they have a right to cuss. My undergrad advisors at UCSB cussed, and they have Ph.Ds. Those words just never end up in the scientific methodology within their scholarly articles.

The other thing I noticed is that in Question Reality, it is not necessarily my writing expresses a new idea in every sentence, but the overall "organization" of the ideas, the overall fabric of spacetime that the writing paints and sculpts is novel.

I have had fairly frequent experiences of multiple "independent origins of common thought." IOOCT. Like the evolution of mechanisms of flight evolved a dozen-or so times in high unrelated species of organisms.

For example, Naomi Klein uses the word "shock." I have been using the term "desperation." So Klein terminology, my experience with anorexia was "shock," because it wiped my mind to a blank slate (dxm right, I was blank slate). The issue is that I have a novel idea and then it turns out someone else already coined it, independent of my knowing it. "RETROACTIVE REALIZATION," I like to call it. It's frustrating sometimes but I still use the terminology because I feel through my independent fabrication, I have come to master and own the term. The language fragment has real, spacetime meaning in my mind.

The first conscious experience of this independent origin of thought was with the term "evolutionary psychology." I never consciously was aware of the term. Then I formulated it over spring break of 2001. I returned to school at UC Santa Barbara, and low-and-behold it turns out there is an entire cult of evolutionary psychologists raiding the Anthropology and Psychology Departments (maybe even the Ecology and Evolution Department) too! It's not that this ev psych clique is good or bad. But they are everywhere at UCSB. Like some invasive species mentality. UC Santa Barbara is perhaps DAH ev psych hub of the world. Originated by Drs. John Tooby and Leda Cosmides.

Since this first experience of independent origins of common thought, I have encountered several other such circumstances. I boohoo for an hour and then I oh-flippin'-frickin'-oh-well it. I am glad that Naomi Klein is scaling individual human psychology to entire socoities. In 2004-2005 I terms that as Environmental Mass Accumulation of Individual and System Structure Effects (EMAISSE). Now I am calling it SCALING LAWS OF HUMAN BEHAVIORAL ECOLOGY (hot sexy shxt terminology I'm talking here). Then I encountered Dr. Ben Halpern, ecological modeler GURU who was first to implement "mass accumulation effects" on ecological models on how the world is going to hxll. Or at least the ocean parts of it. But all the models and fragmented data are all in one place on one scientific paper. Sigh (I left the classroom depressed all day after a presentation of THAT paper). But anyway, Ben and I are on the same page in terms of scale and mass accumulation effects. I'm just not that into modeling.

Another term that I created before I knew it existed "out there" is Ecosystem-Based Management (or EBM) rather than small-scale endangered species micromanagement. It's not necessary to know every single factor in an ecosystem, but you need to take a step back and look at reality as Monet would: "From a distance, shxt looks like a garden." (Quoted from the Ultimate Shxt List). But you have enough precision and accuracy and enough data collected to have confidence to report your findings to society when you the scientist operate on Uncertainty and the public wants Definity.

Then again, it makes sense for all the West Coast Ocean Scientists (some loosely structured cross-university society) to adapt ecosystem based management (EBM) because micro-scale management in one big oceanic soup--excuse me--swimming pool--is not feasible, like how it's done in terrestrial management. So, EBM is out of management convenience, eh?

Maybe I need to write an article on EVOLUTION OF SCIENTIFIC TERMINOLOGY. Maybe I'll just be a historian of science because not only I like doing science but I like documenting the human elements of scientific practice. All the things that DON'T get published in scientific articles. You can't tease apart the notion that science is done by humans, so at least science journalism and history of science can account for these factors while many scientists are in the process of denying that they are humans. "Humans aren't animals. They are mammals," as Tariel would tease.

Key words: poem, blank slate, shock doctrine, Naomi Klein, Fight Club, shock, language adaptation, buz words, Milton Freedman, denial science, independent origins of common thought, IOOCT, retroactive realization, disastrology, evolutionary psychology, EMAISSE, Scaling Laws of Human Behavioral Ecology, mass accumulation effect, Dr. Ben Halpern, ecosystem-based management, Monet, evolution of scientific terminology, historian of science, science journalism

No comments: