Tuesday, July 08, 2008

237. Pilot Season First Annual Santa Barbara Write-off Reality Show Competition, Day 4, Writing a Piece on Savory, Home Cooking, Greek Mother


Please visit the pdf file of the above story below.
On the fourth day of the competition, we had a celebrity judge who was involved in writing about home cooking. Hence, the very difficult theme was "savory home cooking." Writing about home-cooked food that reminds you of a very special place. Try to tangle the landscapes of food and home all in one piece. Oh boy. For those who know me, food is not a very pretty subject. With my upbringing, food was anything but savory and inviting pleasant memories--except for maybe Mexican food at Don Jose. Unfortunately, that food was not-home-made.
I had told this story at Tabletopics Toastmasters before, so my thoughts were quite polished in my brain by the time I entered this competition. The essay I wrote was so funny that I had a hard time reading it, and many people laughed. I even had a judge from San Diego come up to me and state how she thoroughly enjoyed my piece!
The next time I am ever asked to write about food in a Reality Show Write-off Competition, I will write a piece called Envirochondriac, which is about an individual going environmentally psychotic about that food that is on his or her plate, not only in terms of the health and contents, but where it comes from, how it's made, carbon and calorie counting, obsession, just like those Weight watchers people. Carbon counting is weight watchers for the environment, etcetera. Looking forward to writing that piece. I already have a song/poem. So I'll start with that.
LOOK HERE FOLKS, VICTORIA MINNICH INVENTED THE WORD ENVIROCHONDRIAC IN FALL QUARTER OF 2007 IN AN ESSAY ON AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH. IF ANYONE USES THIS WORD AND DOESN'T GIVE ME CREDIT--ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY PUT THIS WORD IN THE ENGLISH DICTIONARY--I AM GOING TO HUNT THEM DOWN AND ASK THEM TO GIVE ME CREDIT FOR SOME CREATIVITY HERE. OKAY?!!

1 comment:

Victoria "Stokastika" said...

I had to take down the poem "Intergalactic Tide of HyperAssociations" because I submitted to Rattle Magazine, so I'm resorting to posting here. In concern of furthering my mother's theories of food. Theory number 1 of the day. If it tastes good, it must be bad for you. Corollary. If it tastes bad, it must be good for you. Theory number 2, besides garlic, you have to have some kind of "Fad Food" that may last from a week to a few months. The unfortunate fad food for now is EGGS. My mother might overdose my father with eggs, cholesterol, high blood pressure problems. That is serious. My father complained quite a bit... Brett's teaching a basic climate change class... that's AWESOME!