Saturday, June 28, 2008

228. Pilot Season First Annual Santa Barbara Write-off Reality Show Competition, Alternative Entry Desperation, Adaptation for Lord of the Flies




In the second to last competition, we were required to adapt musicals to climax moments in classic pieces of literature. I chose something dismal not on the list: Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. I suppose it's too serious for a competition that is snap-judgment... and it is inevitable that humor would win. I realized retrospectively that I could have created a beginning score for Lord of the Flies with a pre-existing poem entitled Desperation.

The pdf file for the poem above.

Two other pieces I wished I wrote for the Santa Barbara Writers Conference: (1) A song for the film An Inconvenient Truth and a song for the piece of literature, The Myth of Sisyphus, except it would be Part 2. Oh well. I will write a lot this year, so I can be more than ready next year. Hopefully, my tune will have changed from more serious and issuous to more slapstick and issuous. I know I am a "black sheep" in a generalist writers conference (as a systematically holistic scientist and environmental media bent), but though I am different, I think it will get me somewhere in the long run.

No comments: